A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Thursday, October 17, 2013

I Am Dandy



As I mentioned in a previous post, I purchased a copy of I Am Dandy last week at the NYC launch party for the new book from Rose Callahan and Nathaniel Adams. Having had a chance to look through the entire book, I thought I'd take the time to give my thoughts and impressions.

To begin with, the book is certainly a worthy addition to any library on men's style and, more specifically, the personal interpretation of style and how that can differ from one subject to the next. Nathaniel Adams' writing style flows very easily and is a pleasure to read. His essays or profiles complement Rose Callahan's beautiful images perfectly. In my opinion, however, her wonderful photography is the real strength of the book. The coffee-table sized book is substantial, but the enlarged images are really quite striking - the colors are vibrant and the clothing on display really commands your attention.

Keith Churchwell, 
one of the elegantly attired gentleman featured in I Am Dandy

I have commented elsewhere on the variety of "dandies" captured in this book. Some of the subjects are a bit too costumey for my liking, but at the end of the day the real joy that these people derive from the act of clothing themselves is undeniable. And part of what keeps the book interesting from start to finish is the eclectic variety that you see on display from one page to the next.

The authors, Rose Callahan & Nathaniel Adams


At the same time, there were also enough proponents of classic men's style featured in I Am Dandy to more than satisfy me. The Churchwell Brothers, G. Bruce Boyer, Nick Wooster, Nick Sullivan, Christian Chensvold, Ed Hayes, Gay Talese were highlights of the book for me - the photos were fantastic and the profiles really provide a better sense of what dressing actually means to these people, and exactly how it came to have that meaning for this unique group of individuals.

All in all, a great book - one that I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with a passion for clothing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like I'll have to ask for this book for Christmas then.

    Best Regards,

    Heinz-Ulrich von B.

    ReplyDelete