A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Sunday, April 1, 2012

Crockett & Jones for Polo Ralph Lauren: The Shell Cordovan Split-Toe Loafer


I recently came across a small supply of shell cordovan split-toe loafers made by Crockett & Jones for Polo Ralph Lauren. I believe it is the Prescott model. Unfortunately for me, while the shoes were significantly discounted, I couldn't find a pair in my size. Of course, that was probably a good thing since, as some of you will remember, I just returned from Spain a few weeks ago with a split-toe loafer in shell cordovan from Carmina. So, luckily, I was spared from having to make the tough choice as to which shoes to keep.



I'm planning on doing a side-by-side comparison of the two shell cordovan offerings in the next few days, but for now I thought it would be a good idea to highlight these wonderful shoes before they are all gone - I've sold a few pairs already and have one on eBay at the moment.

The shoes are typical of Crockett & Jones - without a channeled sole or bevelled waist that you might see on some other shoes in this price range, such as Carmina, but the beautiful cigar-color of this shell cordovan is what makes the shoes really stand out. Don't quote me on it, but if memory serves me correctly, C&J sources their cordovan leather from Horween here in the USA, which is probably the best stuff out there.





These shoes show off the lovely shell cordovan patina that you sometimes see - its sometimes uneven but is really lovely to behold and a welcome addition to any real shoe aficionado's collection.



[If anyone is interested,  I'm currently offering a pair in size 9 via eBay here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment