A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Day At The Races: Sporting The Doublebreasted Seersucker


          As summer beckons, racing season in America is in full swing. With several invitations to join various acquaintances for a day at the races over 4th of July weekend (at Belmont), the end of July (The Haskell at Monmouth Park), and Memorial Day weekend (Saratoga Racetrack), now seems like a good time to start figuring out what I'll be sporting at the track.

          I have some linen sportscoats and slacks that should be fine. However, the linen slacks (from Brooks Bros.) are a light cream color and tend to wrinkle and get dirty very easily. As such, I would be reluctant to get down on bended knee to roll dice should I come across a floating crap game under the grandstand at Saratoga Racetrack. Although, truth be told, if someone will fade me then linen slacks be damned.

          Another alternative that I'm leaning towards is my doublebreasted seersucker made by Saint Andrews. Its a lovely suit with mother of pearl buttons, with the handwork and pick-stitching that you would expect to see from one of the tailoring houses that provides suits for Ralph Lauren's Purple Label. The problem, if the question of what to wear to the track can be really be classified as a "problem", is that I've always been befuddled by this paradox: generally, any event that I'm invited to where seersucker would be appropriate is most likely a casual event; however, the doublebreasted cut of the jacket tends to come across as "dressy" to most observers. Not that I blame them but I think that is the general perception of the doublebreasted. Nevertheless, for an afternoon in an owner's box at Belmont Park or a table in the clubhouse at Saratoga Racetrack, the doublebreasted seersucker might be ideal.

          Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of my proposed trackwear, but I'll post some pictures in the coming days and weeks and hopefully you dandies out there will post some "constructive" criticism.

          For now, here's a picture of the doublebreasted seersucker suit. The photo's actually a few years old (and perhaps 15-20 pounds ago), and I believe I was trying it on after having just picked it up from the tailor so the accessories don't necessarily work either - but I have time to work on that. I also reserve the right to break the suit up, and perhaps pair the jacket with a pair of slacks in a solid color, or vice versa.


Doublebreasted seersucker suit, Saint Andrews; Lilac dress shirt, Turnbull & Asser; Striped tie, Luciano Barbera; Ralph Lauren Purple Label Barksdales in Edwardian Antique.



2 comments:

  1. At this time of the year, seems appropriate to drag this up.
    Overthought and wordy. Nobody is going to think 'wearing that DOUBLE-BREASTED seersucker suit, he looks too dressy for the occasion. If that seersucker suit was single-breasted, he'd fit in much better.' Also, the tie is just wrong - find something more summer appropriate. As for the shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    Thanks for the constructive criticism! Better late - even a year late - than never :-)

    If I recall correctly, I didn't get any negative feedback. To be honest, I also don't think I wore the shoes, tie, or shirt - as I wrote then, they didn't really go with the outfit . . . but you knew that already!

    Best,
    Dan F. (An Uptown Dandy)

    ReplyDelete